The Killer Rabbit

 More trolling around the net when I should be working on the notes the editor sent me...

First: because I did some Grail research in grad school, I was pretty sure at least one member of Monty Python was a medievalist - and I think the culprit is Terry Jones, who has written an EXCELLENT book on the so-called "barbarian" civilizations, and co-authored another which posits that Geoffrey Chaucer (who drops out of any historical record rather abruptly in 1400) was murdered. I recognized a number of Grail legend tropes in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" (like the Castle of Maidens, which one finds in at least a couple of the different versions of the tale).

I didn't realize, however, that THIS was a medieval thing, but it shows up in several illuminated manuscripts:





So evidently The Boys weren't making it up!

And then I found, in a friend's FB, a horrifying modern confirmation of all those snail illuminations I posted a few days ago! (The man in the picture is Len Wein). (Photo by Chris Valada)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sample Post

The Iron Princess

An Evening in the Park