More Adventures in Research

 

More adventures in research. Harry Turtledove turned me on to this one a couple of years ago - I find it a soothing and informative before-bed read (when I should actually be researching either the Presidential election of 1840 - for Benjamin January - or what the Los Angeles barrios were like in 1924 - for the second Hollywood mystery). American Cornball is an exhaustive compilation taken from old joke-books, old "novelties" catalogs (the precursors to Archie McPhee), old magazine, newspaper, and animated cartoons, of stuff that used to be considered hilarious in American culture and now isn't. From the hate-filled pervasiveness of racist humor to the "hunh?" of humor about women's ankles and people getting their hats knocked off, the guy really did his research, and writes in a pleasant, readable, thoughtful style. Sometimes simply curious, sometimes really unsettling to see some of the things that people at one time thought it was okay to make jokes about - a LOT of jokes. 

And none of it has anything to do with any project I'm working on, thank goodness.

Back in 2013 I started work on my first fantasy novel in many years, a trilogy of which the first volume would be called The Iron Princess. I wrote 75,000 words of it, then sent it to my agent to shop around, but due to the uncertain nature of the market at that time, we got no takers. Back in June - about two weeks after signing a contract for two murder mysteries (with fairly tight deadlines), I get word back from my wonderful agent: "We've got a taker for Iron Princess, but, they want it really soon AND can you make it a stand-alone and not a trilogy?" 

I did finish Iron Princess (with serious re-writing) AND Death and Hard Cider (Benjamin January #19) on time - AND re-wrote the several lectures for my class that had to be re-written - but I'm now very, very tired. I'm EXTREMELY pleased with both - some of the weirdness connected with the Presidential campaign of 1840 ("Tippecanoe and Tyler, Too!") was pretty entertaining (I think I already posted about the giant balls of rawhide), and Iron Princess is a project long close to my heart. But I'm also extremely pleased that I can take a few days off before starting in on Hollywood in 1924 again.

Time to clean out the fridge, wash some dishes, throw out piles of notes and tackle the dust-rhinos that have built up behind the couch. (Another week and I'd have had to call in the Colonial Marines to deal with them).

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving.

Comments

  1. I'm looking forward to "The Iron Princess", though I have a tinge of regret that it's not going to be a trilogy. Any idea as to publication date?

    Having a somewhat lackadaisical approach to housework, I suggest a live and let live approach to dust-rhinos, at least as long as they stay out of sight behind the couch. Calling in the Colonial Marines sounds a bit over the top, especially if you mean the troops who normally fight alongside Ripley. I doubt the couch would survive the encounter. Even the British version - recruited from escaped slaves back in the War of 1812 - would probably be adverse to the idea of taking up cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would take the interstellar Colonial Marines to deal with the dust-rhinos. And, it's a pretty old couch. I just don't want my friends to be frightened by anything they see when they visit.

      "Iron Princess" should be out late next year. There were a couple of story-lines I would have liked to pursue in a longer version - and I had to kill off a couple of characters and relationships that I would have liked to develop - but I'm pleased with the tighter version as it stands.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sample Post

The Iron Princess

An Evening in the Park