A Herd of Turtles

 

My dad used to use the expression, "We're off like a herd of turtles," which was a good description of my vacation last week. 

It was my first road-trip in 4 years - postponed from last month. The dear friends I visited I hadn't seen in 4 years, though because I've kept in touch it didn't feel like 4 years - and I hope never to have that long a hiatus again. Both destinations were in the deep woods of northern California. I did a lot of walking, and a lot of endless driving on those miles and miles and MILES of northern California two-lane highways that are completely unmarked ("Am I still on 99? Am I headed in the correct direction?" I had GPS maps but couldn't get Siri to work on my phone, despite coaching from the lovely young lady at Enterprise Rent-a-Car). And once you get into the gold country, a lot of those little mountain trails have no signs on them.

And I came home to find my computer wouldn't boot.

I spent a couple of days dozing, washing clothes, and getting groceries (and doing diagnostic phone-calls with Mr. Computer Guy). My cats are now following me from room to room. (They insisted the cat-sitter never fed them not once all week, but I have pictures to prove otherwise. The cats say those pictures were photoshopped).

It is good to be home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sample Post

The Iron Princess

An Evening in the Park