Well, that was tiring.

 

On or about the first of February - 6 days before my Western Civilization class was due to start at the community college at which I have been an adjunct instructor for the past 17 years - I was contacted by the History Department that a) my class had been cancelled due to low enrollment (community college enrollments have been in the toilet for several years) and b) they could offer me another class, this one in US History. I accepted, knowing it would be pretty rough.

I had taught US History many times, before the pandemic. When the pandemic hit, and I switched over to "synchronous" classes - I lecture to a Zoom meeting attended by students of the class - I learned very quickly that, although I can lecture in a live classroom from scribbled notes, I need a full script for a screen performance. Otherwise, I freeze. Over several years of live-screened lectures, I scripted Western Civ - that's what I usually teach - and had my standard exams and written assignments. I had none of these scripts for US History. And, the US History class is what is called "asynchronous" - meaning, I record the lectures (broken into 15-minute podcasts), post them on the website (with transcripts), post the written assignments and exams, and the students (most of whom are working) do them on their own schedule.

This would work fine a) if I had had a couple of months - or even several weeks - to script the lectures  b) if I hadnt had a novel (Benjamin January # 20, The Nubian's Curse) due in 58 days and c) if I weren't working with a completely unfamiliar textbook that I'd never read before.

I got an extra 30 days on the novel. I wanted to front-load the lectures and assignments in the class as much as possible, since my students ARE usually working 40 hrs or more and some of them, taking other classes; I wanted to give them the flexibility to work ahead. A couple of the students told me they appreciated it when I did the funny voices in the lectures.

That's where I've been. I've made sure to take walks, get exercise, meditate, do my physical therapy, feed the cats and stay in touch with friends, but time for these had to be taken out of time for other things. I did manage to get 30 minutes of down-time two evenings a week. I never had quite enough sleep.

Last week I turned in the manuscript of The Nubian's Curse - which I thoroughly enjoyed writing (I love haunted house stories, and I always enjoy writing about Benjamin's friends in Paris) - the same day that I recorded and uploaded the final 3 lectures in the class. The class itself lasts for another month, but the students now, at least, have lectures and assignments that they can fit in around other classes or other time commitments. I'll be doing grading - and office hours - but the heavy lifting is done.

Thank you all for your patience! It's been good to know you're all here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Iron Princess

Sample Post