Halloween Watchlist

It's darker earlier, the nights are a bit more chilly, the neighbors are putting up all sorts of weird decorations in their yards, and it's time for the Halloween watchlist. 

And as I was going through spooky stuff to watch and listen to, I unearthed an old favorite: David McCallum reading H.P. Lovecraft's "Haunter of the Dark." And boy, did McCallum get into reading that one! The man had a lovely voice, and wonderful delivery, even when Lovecraft's prose goes a little over the top. (Or a lot over the top. It takes a fine artist to deliver some of those lines with the audio equivalent of a straight face).

Other Halloween favorites in the audio line (I listen to audio books while doing physical therapy exercises): Dan Starkey reading Wm Hope Hodgeson's "The Whistling Room." I don't know the name of the fellow who reads my audio version of Wilde's "The Canterville Ghost," or Poe's "Masque of the Red Death." I think it's William Roberts who reads Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness." Tom Baker's recording of "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" - another artist who really gets into his work.

There are very few spookies on the watchlist, due to the fact that for almost 2 years now I've almost lost my taste for watching anything at all. "Young Frankenstein," "Rocky Horror Picture Show" (two takes on the same original), the Tim Burton "Sleepy Hollow", and my all-time favorite, "Ghostbusters." (The original Murray/Ackroyd/Ramis version). Last year I tried to add "Fearless Vampire Hunters" into the rotation but found I don't like it as much as I did when first I saw it, although it's still gorgeous to look at. I may re-view "The Maze" (1953), which has to be one of the damn weirdest films I've ever watched, if nothing else. (And it's mostly "nothing else.")

I realize there's a lot of very good spooky stuff out there - a lot of which I've watched. Once. Sometimes twice. But these are the favorites I come back to.
 

Comments

  1. My go to movies are always Sleepy Hallow. On another note I wanted to say I just recently found that you did two more books in the DARWATH sieries. I had only read the first three books. I look forward to reading them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sample Post

The Iron Princess

An Evening in the Park