Heads-Up for Worldcon!

 


2026 Worldcon is Coming Up!

The 2026 Worldcon is coming up in just over 3 weeks! I will be one of seven Guests of Honor (with Ronald Moore, Colleen Doran, Dr. Anita Sengupta, Tim Kirk (whose work I have loved since I was in High School!), Stan Sakai (Yay Usagi the Samurai Rabbit!), and Geri Sullivan, with Ursula Vernon as Toastmaster. LOTS of other excellent guests on over 1600 events: panels, meet-ups, kids' programming, readings, autographings, table-talks, gaming, (and a tea party to celebrate my 75th birthday, put on by the con committee). Plus, of course, the masquerade, art show, and the Hugo Awards.

Anaheim Convention Center (and the Hilton Hotel near-by), August 27-31.

In other news, I'm still trying to regain my status as a "guest administrator" on the Barbara Hambly, Writer Facebook page, but I will start posting also on bluesky (barbara-hambly-44.bsky.social), though I understand they have a word-limit per post. Thank you for your patience!

Comments

  1. Hello Mrs Hambly; I ran across a book of yours in my collection and wanted to drop you a note, and this seemed the place to do so. I hope you're well.

    Many - *many* - years ago, when I was an awkward middle school-aged kid, I tagged along with a family friend to a book signing of yours. You recommended I try the most recent Star Trek novel you had written. I did an extraordinarily bad job of trying to politely demure, and you did an extraordinarily impressive job of still being gracious and signing my much-loved copy of Children of the Jedi.

    What I couldn't figure out how to explain aloud without being more embarrassed than I could physically endure was that I was afraid of getting beat up at school (the place where I did most of my reading) by a particularly ruthless bully who loved to rough up anybody smaller than him who liked Star Trek, including some of my best friends.

    I have thousands of books that are finally getting vaguely organized, and when I found your autograph in my copy of Children of the Jedi I got straight-up centerpunched by a profoundly visceral memory of that exchange. 30 or so years on and I felt I still owed you an apology and a proper thanks.

    Now I need to go track down that Star Trek novel you mentioned. I suspect there is a copy in my wife's collection in her half of the bookshelves that line our library-bedroom; she has dozens. :)

    Best regards,

    - Brandon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandon, I am well, thank you. And thank you for your message. I am embarrassed that I tried to noodge you into reading one of my books, in the face of your unwillingness, especially as it sounds like you were a kid at the time. I apologize for that. Having been bullied (a LOT) at school myself, I was astonishingly insensitive at recognizing signs of it. Explaining ANYTHING at that age can be so painful and confusing. I'm glad that it sounds like it all worked out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Still Further Adventures

The Rain in Spain...

A Busy Summer