LA Con V - follow-up

 

A quick follow-up to my hasty post after returning from WorldCon. I DID finish corrections on the editorial notes for The Devil's Dinner - I HATE it when I a) change something in one draft and don't catch all the necessary alterations needed in the next draft and b) run across places where *I* know what I meant because I've already been through the story six times, so have neglected to explain things to the reader. MANY thanks to my patient editor at Severn House/Joffe!

At the same time that I was turning that around, several other gotta-get-it-done-NOW issues arose (including filling out over 30 sets of "updates" on a website, and calling the Helpline of that particular project to be walked through the process...), as well as medical appointments and getting the a/c in my 20-year-old car fixed. (Not to speak of all the household things that didn't get done during the deadline-push).

But, all taken care of now. I've had two full days to relax in, so time to get back to work on the next Hollywood murder mystery, "Murder in Mixville." 

The above picture was taken at the WorldCon Masquerade - that's me in the brown robe, handing out Judges' Choice to the amazing dragon costume. It's one of the few times at the Con that I wasn't masked; I still live in worry that I'll catch Long Covid (I know people who had it for over 3 years). (Which is about how long it was before I could shake chronic bronchitis). I did manage to dodge that bullet, however, thank Heavens.

 I think I mentioned in my last post that as one of the GoH's, the convention asked me if I wanted to put an exhibit of some of my paintings in the Art Show, and of course I did. 

They also set up a little booth with pictures of me, as a sort of introduction:

That was pretty much all I was able to see of the Dealer's Room - which was immense, with all manner of exhibits as well as more book dealers than I've seen at a con in years. It was generally pretty quiet: the actual place where people met and talked was the lobby of the Hilton. It was always full, and always noisy, like a giant ConSuite connected to about half a dozen small cafes, with a cavernous ceiling that amplified the voices like a thunderstorm).

My thanks again to the Com Committee, and to the wonderful "liaison" they assigned to me, to make sure I found all my panel locations (the Con covered two hotels and the northern half of the Anaheim Convention Center) and made sure I always had a bottle of water handy (it was BLAZING-ASS hot the first two days of the con!) Thank you, Ingrid! Bless you!

A wonderful convention, in the face of all kinds of complications and difficulties; a chance to re-connect with old friends (including a couple I'd gone to college with in the late '60s!) and to meet new ones.

My next con will probably be LosCon - the local LA convention - over Thanksgiving Weekend.

Everybody have a pleasant week!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Further Adventures

The Rain in Spain...